top of page

How to deal with Debt

Updated: Nov 8, 2022

We offer a free, confidential, non-judgemental advice service to support you in managing your debts and making informed decisions to help you get your finances back on track.

If you’re finding it hard to stay on top of your debts, make sure you know what money you’ve got coming in and going out each month. Citizens Advice has an online budgeting tool that can help with this.

It’s also worth finding out if you’re eligible for any benefits or support with your energy and living costs. On the Citizens Advice website there’s a benefits calculator, advice on how to reduce living costs and information on other ways to increase your income.

Next, make a list of everything you owe and send a 'hold action' letter to your creditors. You can find template letters on our website here .

Check if you have given a continuous payment authority (CPA) to a loan company. This means you have given the loan company permission to take money using your debit card or credit card. You may not realise you have given this permission so check your paperwork carefully. You can stop a CPA by telling the bank or the payday loan company to stop making the payment.

There is extra support available if you are dealing with mental health issues.

It is important to remember that you are not facing this crisis alone. You can contact Lewes District Citizens Advice to seek tailored support on 01273 007557 or
9 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page